5 Takeaways That I Learned About

Addictions and Genetics

You will see so many people struggling to fight off an addiction. As soon as they have children, they shall start to worry if they also gave them the addiction. Here is more info on what an addiction would mean in a family.
We find that addictions tend to be genetic. When kids whose parents were once heavy addicts get to teenage years, their likelihood of also succumbing is high. This addiction can be blamed on genetics and behavior. Therefore, apart from genetics, behavior is another important determinant. How you behave, and consequently how your children end up behaving will affect their chances of being addicts. In all things, you will find your kids aping your behavior.
When you look at the DNA in human beings, you will find that we are similar up to 99.9% of ourselves. The only differences in our DNA are summed up in the other 0.1%. Such a small margin means that you have so much in common with your family members. Traits such as diseases, and even addictions are therefore not that hard for you to copy from each other. If you were an addict before, imagine the chances of your child being one.
There is more to learn about how behavior leads to such addictions. How you act around your child goes a long way. As you use drugs and alcohol, there will always be some around you. So will they. This is how they will get used to such things much earlier than usual. You also have to think of how you expect the child of an addict to end up behaving. Their behavior will not be the usual, which is why addiction is not far-fetched.
The good news is that such an environment also presents you with the first-hand experience of the destructive effects of an addiction. There are many kids of addicts who learn to loathe the habit, having missed out on so much growing up. They will, therefore, do their best to make sure that this does not become the story of their lives in the future. You therefore can help them in that resolve when you see them come of age, and put in place measures to ensure that this does not become their story.
There is the simple approach of you taking time to talk to them about drug and alcohol addiction, and how that affected you, with several illustrations. They will see just how bad things can get, and how easily they start. There may be the chance that they shall inherit some negative traits from you, but there is also the fact that with the right intervention, this may not come to pass.
For those whose personal struggles are ongoing, they shall discover more info on how best to fight it here.